Filling out tax paperwork is always a nuisance, especially once you come across different types of forms with similar sounding names. Here, we’ll tell you about the IRS Type W-9 and how to fill out it.
You’ll need to fill out the IRS Form W-9 if you are an independent contractor, self-employed service supplier, or a company providing services to another business entity. Depending on the information which you provide in this form, your client or customer will issue you a Form 1099-MISC in the conclusion of the fiscal year.
Typically, almost all of your customers will ask you to complete the W-9 form. Since you probably need to submit the Form W-9 multiple occasions, it is far better to fill it out and keep it for repeated future use. You can easily fill out the IRS W-9 form on any device with PDFliner, the best online PDF Editor.
How to Download Form W-9
If you are being asked to complete the form W-9 by a customer or customer, they will also probably offer you a copy of the form. If not, you can always download the IRS Form W-9 on your Mac. Even if numerous sites host a copy of the form, we recommend downloading the W-9 form directly from the IRS site so that you always have the most current and correct version of the form.
How to fill Form W-9
Filling out PDF forms with PDFliner is a cinch. Here are 5 simple Actions to do this:
- Register with PDFliner
- Open your W-9 form in PDFliner
- Click any area and begin typing your information (see the notes below)
- Save the complete type in cloud storage so you can retrieve it from any place in the future
- Print out the form, sign it, insert a date and send it to your customer.
P.1 – Type in your name or company name exactly as it appears in your tax returns.
P.3 – Carefully read the company entity types mentioned here and pick the correct checkbox corresponding to your own business. For sole proprietors, select the first checkbox.
P.5,6,7 – Enter the address at which you’d like to get the Form 1099-MISC
Part I – Input either SSN or EIN, for sole proprietors; they are interchangeable, so that you may use either.
Typical mistakes to avoid when filling out Form W-9
Mistakes are something most of us make. However, mistakes on your tax returns may end up being costly. Several have found this out the hard way – even a little typo in any of the areas could cost you big. We have prepared a list of common mistakes to avoid as you are filling out your Form W-9.
- Mistyping your title or DBA on the W-9 can actually trigger an audit as it would appear to IRS that you didn’t report your form 1099-MISC if you submit your tax return later.
- The same thing could occur if you make a typo from the SSN or EIN. Remember, your client has no way to confirm that you’ve entered the appropriate information in your own W-9 form.
- Make sure your mailing address is correct. Otherwise, you will not get your 1099-MISC form after.
Keep all the forms in 1 spot, for example in PDFliner in your own account. This permits quick access whenever you need them. Once again, make sure you provide accurate information in your W-9. This will make sure that payments you receive are correctly reported on the IRS. If you’re not sure of a few things, always talk to your financial adviser.